Youth In Action is searching for an inspiring, motivated and energized Program Director!
Come join an innovative team, at an agency that truly believes in youth first initiatives and opportunities, in the heart of South Providence.
Program Director Search
Youth In Action (YIA) is a youth leadership, social-emotional development after-school organization located on the South Side of Providence serving high school aged youth since 1997. We are a place where youth share their stories, practice leadership, and create change in their communities. YIA envisions a world where young people are at the forefront of positive social change and believes that with their natural ability to innovate, capacity to lead, and desire for positive change, that world is possible.
YIA’s focus is on creating opportunities for youth to become their best selves, to address power imbalances that stifle the potential of disenfranchised youth and young people of color, and to create more caring and fair public institutions and systems. To accomplish this, youth at YIA engage in different types of learning and their applications: project based learning to practice leadership and critical thinking; service learning to address the urgent and basic needs of our surrounding community; cooperative learning to develop social change toolkits and peer connection; and adventure learning to inspire beyond immediate environment and build camaraderie.
YIA’s program model is broken into three phases: Core, Immersion, and Collective. Each phase builds upon the last and provides youth with particular sets of tools, skills, and frameworks that result in increased communication, emotional intelligence, and critical thinking and inquiry. The model is supported by monthly service learning opportunities, community meetings, and adventure learning with further incentives of recreation and stipends depending on what phase of programming they are in. We also have adapted versions of this program that we execute at the community and in-school level, as well as adapted workshops/trainings that are facilitated to partners and clients through an earned income model.
The Program Director supervises plans and executes this wide range of programs. The position will be responsible for the delivery and overall success of each program and will work in close collaboration with the Administrative Director and Executive Director.
Program Management, Design & Development
- Oversee all program areas including – out of school, in school, community level, events and workshops & trainings provided by the agency
- Planning programs from start to completion incorporating deadlines, milestones, content, partnership, assessment, processes, recruitment and retainment
- Monitoring program budgets & operations, ensuring costs are within approved budget
- Identify and author indicators that align with program outcomes and grants along with completing and managing all assessments/rubrics/evaluations, and annually revisit evaluation model
- Orient, develop, train and supervise all program support staff, including interns, work-study positions, youth co-coordinators and hourly staff
- Facilitate all evaluations, rubrics and data collection for all programs
- Oversee and execute facilitation for out of school programming at the Youth In Action House (Core, Immersion, Collective)
- Oversee, lead and execute in-school facilitation during our in-school opportunities
- Oversee the development, training and facilitation of our Workshops/training series and specialty programming
- Recruit for programming and ensure that participation targets are being met
- Will be trained in outdoor leadership by our partners at the Appalachian Mountain Club’s Youth Opportunities Program, and help design and run outdoor leadership opportunities for participants of our program.
- Establish and maintain community partnerships – partnerships that both support program curriculum and that serve as vehicles for small projects and recruitment for earned income models
- Represent and act as an ambassador for YIA when in public, attending meetings, having a presence at community events, and telling the story of programming
- Active team member of YIA family – assisting with agency-wide events and annual campaigns
- Bilingual Candidates, English/Spanish
- Background in Social Emotional Learning & Wellness
- Familiarity and proven ability to work with Providence and it’s diverse communities
- Strong background in assessment, evaluation & data collection
- Experience in grant writing & reporting
Minimum Qualifications Include:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 3 or more years’ experience working with urban middle and high school aged youth
- At least one year of experience in project management
- Curriculum Development Experience
- Proven ability to self-manage
- Ability to think critically and promote social justice values
- Motivated and able to take initiative balanced with the capacity to work with a group
- Exhibits YIA outcomes: communication, emotional intelligence, and critical thinking and inquiry
- Ability to give and receive critical feedback
- Sense of humor and adaptable to the ever-changing landscape of nonprofit work
Youth In Action, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and people of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Salary commensurate with experience: $40,000 – $45,000. Health, dental and employer matched retirement plan benefits included.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject “Program Director”
Deadline for application is Friday June 14th 2019